1. The cost of ducted air conditioning unit
2. The cost of the ducted air conditioning components (duct, vents etc.)
3. The cost of the installation (labour)
The Cost of Ducted Air Conditioning Unit
This is the cost to purchase the air conditioning split unit itself which includes the outdoor condenser unit, the indoor fan coil unit and possibly the controller (unless you are using a third party controller). Generally speaking the unit cost is approximately half of the overall cost of the complete air conditioning system. For example if the complete system for a large 4x2 home was $10,000 the unit cost would be around $5000.
The cost of the ducted air conditioning components
Ducted air conditioning components are extremely important as is the actual design and layout of the components. These components include –
- sheet metal supply sets
- R1.0 rated ducting
- Diverters and Y pieces to divert air
- return air grille with box
- ceiling or wall vents
- hanging equipment for the indoor unit
- mounting gear for the outdoor unit
- zone systems so rooms can be turned on/off as required
As you can see there is a fair amount of components needed for your ducted air conditioning system. Generally speaking, the total cost of components would be around one third of the overall cost of the system. For example if we were still talking about the $10,000 system the component cost would be around $3,500.
The cost of the installation (labour)
Labour cost to have your unit and components installed correctly is yet another crucial part that can be overlooked with people trying to save $100-$200. If you decide to use some ‘backyarders’ that aren’t experienced this could seriously shoot you in the foot. You may have a great brand unit, decent components but if the installer cuts corners you may be left with a ducted air conditioning system that isn’t effective or efficient and it may even void your warranty! The labour cost of your new system would include –
- Installation of the indoor unit – This includes lifting the indoor unit up into the roof space through the return air grille hole. Then mounting the indoor unit from main roof supports with threaded rod and angle which ensures there is no weight on the ceiling
- Running the refrigeration lines from the indoor unit to the outdoor unit location including supply of the copper.
- Mounting of the outdoor unit including connecting the refrigeration lines and electrical
- Installation of the ducting, diverters, vents and return air grille
- Installation of mains power supply from the switchboard
- Installation and commissioning of the zone system and controller
The overall cost of the installation (labour) for a ducted air conditioning system is around 15-20% of the overall cost. If we use the same example of the $10,000 system the labour cost would be around $1800.
Now that we have explained the three parts to having an efficient ducted air conditioning system we will give you some guidelines that may assist you with getting a rough idea for your home. –
- Small home under 150m2 - $6000 - $7500
- Medium home 150m2 – 230m2 - $7500 - $9000
- Large home 230m2 – 300m2 - $9000 - $12000
- Massive home 300m2 – 350m2 - $12000 - $17000
Each ducted air conditioning system is individually designed at iBreeze which ensures we have the perfect system to suit your home and the way you live in it. Depending on how many people are in the home, ceiling height, amount of windows/skylights are a few items that are also carefully considered in the design process.
What to look for when it comes time to getting quotes? Besides making sure your installer is licensed, look for someone with plenty of great reviews from happy clients. You also need to make sure you get a quote in writing - if they can’t provide that, I would avoid that company. You need to use properly trained and licensed installers for your job. Anyone who handles refrigerants and installs air conditioning units must hold a licence issued by the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC). You also need a qualified electrician that can leave and electrical certificate on the day of installation.
If you would like a quote for ducted air conditioning please contact our team at iBreeze on 95349491 or email us on email@example.com
© 2020 iBreeze | Air Conditioning Mandurah | All Rights Reserved.